diadem n : an ornamental jewelled headdress signifying sovereignty [syn: crown]
EtymologyFrom διάδημα, from διαδέω
Diadem has a number of different meanings, including the following:
- A diadem is a type of crown.
- A diadem is also a shape of stone. This was shown on Nicolas Poussin's finger in his Self Portrait of 1650. It represents Constintina (strength of character).
- Diadem is the brightest star in the constellation Coma Berenices.
- A diadem may be one of several tropical butterflies in the genus Hypolimnas.
- DIADEM The DIADEM software is a user interface for the DIPPR 801 database
- DIAdem is a technical software for managing, analyzing, and reporting technical data from National Instruments
- HMS Diadem was the lead ship of the Diadem-class of protected cruiser in the Royal Navy launched in 1896.
- HMS Diadem was a cruiser of the Royal Navy in World War II.
- Operation Diadem was a military operation in the Second World War's Italian Campaign.
- Diadem is a series of books by John Peel
- The Diadem Saga is a science fiction series by author Jo Clayton
- "Diadems" is a song by American thrash metal band, Megadeth. It features on the Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight Soundtrack album (1995.) Also found on the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compilation_album compilation albums Hidden Treasures (1995) and Warchest (2007.)
- This is not to be confused with Diadema, which can also take several meanings.
O, anklet, annular muscle, annulus, areola, armlet, aureole, bangle, beads, bijou, bracelet, breastpin, brooch, cap of dignity, cap of maintenance, chain, chaplet, charm, chatelaine, circle, circuit, circumference, circus, closed circle, corona, coronet, crown, cycle, discus, disk, earring, ermine, eternal return, fairy ring, fob, garland, gem, glory, great seal, halo, jewel, lasso, locket, logical circle, loop, looplet, magic circle, necklace, noose, nose ring, orb, orbit, pin, precious stone, privy seal, purple, purple pall, radius, regalia, rhinestone, ring, robe of state, rod, rod of empire, rondelle, round, roundel, royal crown, saucer, scepter, seal, signet, sphincter, stickpin, stone, tiara, torque, triple plume, uraeus, vicious circle, wampum, wheel, wreath, wristband, wristlet